Friday, February 4, 2011

Papa's Reel


In Oct of 2009 my granddad in Oklahoma passed away and one of the items my grandma gave me was his old flyfishing reel. It is a pflueger and was probably made around 1940 still worked great and made for a perfect fit for my St. Croix 8' 4wt. So between getting married and school I really didnt have time to try this reel out till June of 2010 and we had been staying at the camper on the Watauga River and I got up around 7 am to try out my secret spot just down from the camper around a small island that almost always produces a few small rainbows. As got to my spot I rigged up a size 16 beaded pheasant tail and figured I would try a run I usually dont fish because of it being shallow but figured why not? So I feed out some line get into position and make my first cast with my new rod and my papa's old fly reel and wouldnt you know it I caught a brown trout about 11". I just couldnt believe this was happening on my first cast. After that I dont even remember if I caught anything and had to run back to tell every one what had happened.

1 comment:

  1. Hi
    The last time I fish, it was in new jersey,
    my son was 4 years old and since then I move to TN and have not fish since. He and his little sister have been asking me when we would go fishing for a long time now. I am in school also at ETSU, I finally got my license for TN today and would love to go fishing with them hopefully to catch some fish for them. they are already planning how to cook the fish so please give me some tips. I want to be a proud father since I have not done this in a long time.
    Thanks
    Steven

    ReplyDelete